The Lillois' favourite meeting place offers an interesting view of the architecture from the 17th to the 20th century. Standing in the centre of the squares stands the Goddess commemorates Lille's resistance to the Austrian siege in 1792. In front of the Old Stock Exchange built from 1652 to 1653, is undoubtly the town's finest building. This building is made up fo 24 little houses around an arched courtyard. A second-hand book market as well as chess players can be seen inside. On this square is situated the Grand Garde.
The building was used to house soldiers from the sentry guard. It is now the Théâtre du Nord.