In 1596, Lille became the second French city to possess a botanical garden. Over the centuries, the collections have been cultivated in different areas.
Since 1948, the Botanical Garden has occupied 11 hectares of the city's former fortifications located on the southeast side of town. Here, shrubs of various shapes and sizes as well as thousands of roses and dahlias surrounding a large pond dazzle the eye. The Tropical Greenhouse displays vegetation native to tropical regions.