After Louis XIV's conquest of the city in 1667, Vauban desired that Lille become the most perfect stronghold of the ingdom. He built the Citadel, enlarged the town and fortified the enclosure. In 1673, he built the Fort Saint Sauveur, later called the Fort du Réduit. Really a little citadel, it houses the engineering services. The chapel in the centre (1707) is an example of French classical style, built in Lezennes stone. It presents a basilical plan without transept, and a harmonious frontage with superposition of three orders. The galble is decorated with low-relief where two support the coats of arms of France and Navarre.
Access: Metro line 2, station "Grand Palais"