Built during the 100 Years' War by Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy, to protect himself against the French armies, the tower was the highest of 65 in the city walls. Topped by a wooden "hourd" of firing positions, it permitted the defence of the quarter and the St Sauveur hospital. When Lille became French in 1667, Vauban converted the tower into a half-buried powder supply depot.
Sheltered by three-metre thick walls, are two superimposed rooms; one has a vaulted ceiling with intersecting ribs, the other has a low dome of brick, illuminated by three small openings: they are reached by a staircase in a tower. When the ramparts were done away with they were left isolated and mutilated. A monument to collective memory, it became doubly so when it was made the Memorial to the Resistance.
Metro line 2, stop "Mairie de Lille"