This Triumphal Arch was erected between 1685 and 1692 in honour of the capture of Lille by Louis XIV in 1667. It replaced the more modest Sick-Quarter Gate which had been there since the Middle Ages. The engineer charged with constructing the gate, Simon Vollant, had already distinguished himself by his work with Vauban on the building of the Citadel. On his own initiative he sculpted decoration expressing the power and magnificence of the victorious king. In a niche on the right, club in hand, is Hercules, symbol of strength. On the left is Mars, the god of war. The top of the arch is crowned by two angels trumpeting the Sun King's conquest to the entire world. The Place was given its circular shape when the ramparts were demolished in 1858.
Access: Metro line 2, stop "Mairie de Lille"