It was in this former Carmelite chapel (1701-1758) that Charles de Gaulle was baptised in 1890. The first architect was Thomas-Joseph Gombert of Lille but his work was interrupted in 1708 by the War of Spanish Succession. Taking over in 1724, his nephew, François-Joseph Gombert reduced the façade to two levels. It became a parish church in 1784. The bell tower is the work of Louis-Marie Cordonnier of Lille. In the interior, the lower aisles are roofed with seven small brick cupolas. The ceiling paintings date from the 19th century, the stained glass coming from the workshops of Charles Gaudelet. In the nave is a fine sculpted baroque pulpit by Jean-Baptiste Danezan from Valenciennes and there paintings by Jacques van Oost, Arnould de Vuez and Rubens' master, Otto Venius, among others. In the choir is a majestic high altar. The white marble busts of St Peter and St Paul are the work of the 17th century Antwerp sculptor Arthur Quellin. Don't miss the painting by Jacques van Oost in the Chapel of our Lady.